Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
lager weirdness
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    my recent lager that i made and lagered for 3 weeks tasted like really skunky heinekin when i tasted it last week (3 days after kegging, fully carbed)
    tried it today and it is markedly better, still has a funky aftertaste, but not as bad.
    this beer was put into a bucket that had a leaky lid and basically open fermented for the first week until i caught it.
    anbody have any thoughts?
    yeast was saflager s-23
    very basic recipe, just 6 pounds of golden light Briess dme and around 15 ibu's. very simple fence painting beer.
  • ThymThym
    it's hard to know if that skunky flavor is the result of a wild yeast for sure. but in my experience you have two things that can work in your favor.

1. the co2 adds a flavor that tend to mask some off flavors
    2. some off flavors dissipate with time or can be carried away through gas exchange.

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    saflager always gives me a sulfury tastes that takes a long while to fade out. have you tried co2 scrubbing? i usually wait, but if you want to drink it now, give it a shot and see if that clears the off flavor out.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    it tastes more grainy and cerealy, like a really strong helles that is old.
    due to lots of cider making i am extremely well versed in sulfur flavors. stupid sulfur.
  • ThymThym

it tastes more grainy and cerealy, like a really strong helles that is old.
    due to lots of cider making i am extremely well versed in sulfur flavors. stupid sulfur.

grainy flavors are not something associate with any kind of fermentation byproduct. interesting.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny