Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Gelatin in Belgian wit
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Do you use gelatin in Belgian wit? Will that make it clear, when you want the haze as is normal for this style? Will the flavor change?
  • ThymThym
    i do not use gelatin in any of my beers. but i definitely wouldn't use a clarifying agent in a wit. the yeast character is a highlight of a wit, so i recommend swirling the bottle to bring up any sediment before drinking/pouring wits.

as for the flavor, you will lose the flavors that are associated with the suspended yeast, so yes it will be different.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    What Lake said. However.... The flavor change is subject to your palate. Lake has an insanely evolved palate. I would notice the hazy/color change before a flavor change.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    That said, I (personally here) would not use gelatine in anything short of a lager I was trying to show off. And definitely not in a wit.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

That said, I (personally here) would not use gelatine in anything short of a lager I was trying to show off. And definitely not in a wit.

honestly, i wouldn't use gelatin in a lager destined for a comp myself, i might finally spring for a filter in that situation though.

and thanks for the palate comment, though i'm not sure it all that evolved. i did enjoy a lemon berry shandy a few days ago..
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

honestly, i wouldn't use gelatin in a lager destined for a comp myself, i might finally spring for a filter in that situation though.

and thanks for the palate comment, though i'm not sure it all that evolved. i did enjoy a lemon berry shandy a few days ago..

man card: revoked!
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and i wouldn't use gelatin in a wit. i love the flavor that wit yeast adds. i always leave a 1/2" of beer in the bottle so i can swirl it around and pour the yeast into the glass.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • scoobscoob
    I agree with the above replies about not using gelatin in a wit, the yeast is a main player in the flavor of a wit (unless you are talking shock top, in that case I think childrens chewable aspirin is the main flavor there)

For beers needing to be clear I run em through a filter to clarify if its going into a comp.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    clarifying a wit would be like aging a big hoppy IPA for a year. Some people do it, but it's kind of dumb.

I have used gelatin before and it works great. Now i just wait a week after kegging and it's crystal clear. You lose a tiny bit of body, but you lose that with a filter too.