Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
thermometer suggestions
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    After the last couple of brews, I'm not entirely sure I trust the thermometer I use in the mash. I plan on testing it before the next brewday, but I'm in the market for a new one anyway.

So, do any of you guys have a thermometer that you love/hate? If so, what's the price tag and what do you like about it?
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I have a floating one, don't like it. Cheap. Slow to react to temp. I've overheard a few mashes due to it. I'm going to install a Blichmann dial thermometer. I have one, just need to make a heat shield before installing on my kettle.
  • JerryJerry
    I mostly use a little quick read one. 1" face. Its really not so great for telling the difference between 152 and 153... But I know it's not 155. I want a nicer digital one, but I can calibrate this one by sticking it under my toung and twisting its face.

Thym
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • C_BC_B
    I use a small dial thermometer. It's been a good one and I often double check it against ice water or boiling water or something like that. It hasn't been wrong yet. I like to set it on top of the mash. I might have a picture around here somewhere.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Here we go.
    IMAG0940.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 471K
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Here we go.

clever.

I use a similar one in the mash. and i have a large face dial thermometer in a thermowell for checking the wort temp as i chill
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Here we go.

clever.

I use a similar one in the mash. and i have a large face dial thermometer in a thermowell for checking the wort temp as i chill

I should note that I mash thick because I'm usually making 10 gallons in a 5 gallon MLT. But the point remains, this works well for me. I used to never really trust that I left the thermometer in long enough to get a real measurement.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I have a digital that I like. I don't have it right here with me, but I think it's NSF and able to recalibrate. The name is 3 letters. It will come to me later.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    I think for the mash I would like to switch to digital and have a dedicated thermowell. My setup is impossible to get temp reading from without opening the lid and letting out a ton of heat.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I think for the mash I would like to switch to digital and have a dedicated thermowell. My setup is impossible to get temp reading from without opening the lid and letting out a ton of heat.

I think this is where a constant recirc be it HERMS or RIMS would do wonders for consistency. Of course, there's a slew of variables that come with either of those systems.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Here we go.

neat, but how hard it is to read? i have a very similar thermometer i'm using in my ferm chamber/cheese cave right now.
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

Here we go.

neat, but how hard it is to read? i have a very similar thermometer i'm using in my ferm chamber/cheese cave right now.

Easy. But you have to take the lid off realizing some heat loss I suppose. And usually I give a little wipe with my finger if it's fogged up. But really, it's working really well.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i don't seem to have very much heat loss from removing the lid for a couple minutes, so that's not an issue i'll worry about.
  • C_BC_B

i don't seem to have very much heat loss from removing the lid for a couple minutes, so that's not an issue i'll worry about.

Exactly. And it's the biggest issue I have...
  • JerryJerry
    Just don't leave one in a 400f oven and forget about it for 30min
    1381970695379.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

Just don't leave one in a 400f oven and forget about it for 30min

oops