• C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    Split from places.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    I need a simple hefe recipe. Like blue moon, but less shitty.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    I have an extract recipe that was pretty good if I recall correctly. Might just turn that into a PM and be done with it.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,990
    C_B said:

    I need a simple hefe recipe. Like blue moon, but less shitty.



    I do 60/40 malt/wheat, an ounceish of acid malt, RO water with slight adjustments to keep it soft, shoot for 5.5-6.0 ABV, and just enough hops in the boil to say you used some. Then use 3086, slightly under-pitched and fermented warmish (69-70). Banana, clove, refreshing.

    It's the one recipe I've made countless times mostly because it's great at 3 weeks.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,990
    Correction, 3068.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,990
    The yeast is very important.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    I need a simple hefe recipe. Like blue moon, but less shitty.



    I do 60/40 malt/wheat, an ounceish of acid malt, RO water with slight adjustments to keep it soft, shoot for 5.5-6.0 ABV, and just enough hops in the boil to say you used some. Then use 3086, slightly under-pitched and fermented warmish (69-70). Banana, clove, refreshing.

    It's the one recipe I've made countless times mostly because it's great at 3 weeks.


    Nice. I might just do exactly that.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,776
    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    I need a simple hefe recipe. Like blue moon, but less shitty.



    I do 60/40 malt/wheat, an ounceish of acid malt, RO water with slight adjustments to keep it soft, shoot for 5.5-6.0 ABV, and just enough hops in the boil to say you used some. Then use 3086, slightly under-pitched and fermented warmish (69-70). Banana, clove, refreshing.

    It's the one recipe I've made countless times mostly because it's great at 3 weeks.


    Yeah. Use Pilsner malt, and do a 90 minute boil.
    Do a ten minute first wort boil too. It will really develop the flavor
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,990
    ceannt said:

    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    I need a simple hefe recipe. Like blue moon, but less shitty.



    I do 60/40 malt/wheat, an ounceish of acid malt, RO water with slight adjustments to keep it soft, shoot for 5.5-6.0 ABV, and just enough hops in the boil to say you used some. Then use 3086, slightly under-pitched and fermented warmish (69-70). Banana, clove, refreshing.

    It's the one recipe I've made countless times mostly because it's great at 3 weeks.


    Yeah. Use Pilsner malt, and do a 90 minute boil.
    Do a ten minute first wort boil too. It will really develop the flavor


    Pilsner is good. I've used whatever base I had handy. I actually prefer to keep the malt flavors subtle (referencing the boil comments) so it's more refreshing and makes the yeast flavors pop.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    6# 2 row
    4# light wheat
    1# rice hulls
    2oz acid malt

    Hallertau hops to 20-25 IBU

    Wyeast 3068

    Anything you might add?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,990
    C_B said:

    6# 2 row
    4# light wheat
    1# rice hulls
    2oz acid malt

    Hallertau hops to 20-25 IBU

    Wyeast 3068

    Anything you might add?



    Looks good to me. Although I usually go even lower on the IBUs.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    6# 2 row
    4# light wheat
    1# rice hulls
    2oz acid malt

    Hallertau hops to 20-25 IBU

    Wyeast 3068

    Anything you might add?



    Looks good to me. Although I usually go even lower on the IBUs.


    I'll math it, but I think I got 2oz of Hallertau at 3.5 AA?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,990
    C_B said:

    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    6# 2 row
    4# light wheat
    1# rice hulls
    2oz acid malt

    Hallertau hops to 20-25 IBU

    Wyeast 3068

    Anything you might add?



    Looks good to me. Although I usually go even lower on the IBUs.


    I'll math it, but I think I got 2oz of Hallertau at 3.5 AA?


    I rarely mathed it, but I usually used 2oz of the lowest AA I had...in a 10 gallon batch. This was all about wheat and yeast for me.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    Here's mine:
    eerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
    Recipe: Ewalds Weissbier
    Brewer:
    Asst Brewer:
    Style: Weizen/Weissbier
    TYPE: All Grain
    Taste: (35.0)

    Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 6.93 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
    Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 12.0 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

    Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.8 %
    5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 47.6 %
    5 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 47.6 %
    0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 8.0 IBUs
    0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 5 4.0 IBUs
    1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35. Yeast 6 -


    Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.0 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 13.13 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F 60 min

    Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.57gal, 3.59gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    OG 1.047.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,990
    C_B said:

    OG 1.047.



    Perfect.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    In other news, I mathed this and came up with 63% efficiency. That's up from the last batch's dismal performance.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 108,371
    C_B said:

    In other news, I mathed this and came up with 63% efficiency. That's up from the last batch's dismal performance.



    that's actually pretty good for a wheat beer. I've never gotten particularly good numbers from wheat in my system.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 47,246
    Lakewood said:

    C_B said:

    In other news, I mathed this and came up with 63% efficiency. That's up from the last batch's dismal performance.



    that's actually pretty good for a wheat beer. I've never gotten particularly good numbers from wheat in my system.


    i've gotten pretty good extraction a couple times with wheat, but it took well over an hour to sparge. :-& now i aim for lower efficiency and toss an extra pound in the grist.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 108,371

    Lakewood said:

    C_B said:

    In other news, I mathed this and came up with 63% efficiency. That's up from the last batch's dismal performance.



    that's actually pretty good for a wheat beer. I've never gotten particularly good numbers from wheat in my system.


    i've gotten pretty good extraction a couple times with wheat, but it took well over an hour to sparge. :-& now i aim for lower efficiency and toss an extra pound in the grist.



    well, this. but i don't have the patience to get good efficiency.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541
    Bottled up on 1/30. Tasted great.

    CurlyFat
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 47,246
    C_B said:

    Bottled up on 1/30. Tasted great.



    i was going to bottle my wit yesterday, but cleaning the bottles took way too long.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,541

    C_B said:

    Bottled up on 1/30. Tasted great.



    i was going to bottle my wit yesterday, but cleaning the bottles took way too long.

    So you kegged it?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 47,246
    C_B said:

    C_B said:

    Bottled up on 1/30. Tasted great.



    i was going to bottle my wit yesterday, but cleaning the bottles took way too long.

    So you kegged it?


    no, i still want it bottled. i just didn't.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B