cider and mead questions
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    if yes, then i'll just call it scrumpy and be done with it.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

As long as the cider was not heat pasturized (which would set the pectin), it will clear naturally. if it was heat pasturized you'll never get the haze out.
    And filters do change the flavor of ciders to a noticable amount.
    Wait 5 months after racking, it should be clear then.

since this was store bought 'cider' i can only assume it was pasteurized. would pectic enzyme be a waste of time?

if store bought, then yeah, call it a scrumpy.
    They actually heat it up in order to fix the pectin on purpose because dummies think "cider" is supposed to be cloudy and otherwise it would all settle out while on the shelf.
    It's quite obvious that we have the technology to preserve apple juice clear simply using vacuum seals and acid, that's why other juice isn't cloudy.
  • morsmors
    yes as stated if it was heated the pectin haze is set and you cannot get rid of it. To use pectin enzyme it has to be used prior to fermentation. It doesn't work in the presence of alcohol.
    BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
    Cicerone Certified Beer Server
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    mors said:

yes as stated if it was heated the pectin haze is set and you cannot get rid of it. To use pectin enzyme it has to be used prior to fermentation. It doesn't work in the presence of alcohol.

from what i've read around the internets it will, just not nearly as well.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

As long as the cider was not heat pasturized (which would set the pectin), it will clear naturally. if it was heat pasturized you'll never get the haze out.
    And filters do change the flavor of ciders to a noticable amount.
    Wait 5 months after racking, it should be clear then.

since this was store bought 'cider' i can only assume it was pasteurized. would pectic enzyme be a waste of time?

if store bought, then yeah, call it a scrumpy.
    They actually heat it up in order to fix the pectin on purpose because dummies think "cider" is supposed to be cloudy and otherwise it would all settle out while on the shelf.
    It's quite obvious that we have the technology to preserve apple juice clear simply using vacuum seals and acid, that's why other juice isn't cloudy.

well, done and done. i'll get it carbed and drankin asap.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I've made a batch with store bought cider, cleared up really well. Racked after primary, and it was pretty clear, then racked to secondary for a few months but it cleared up really fast, I just left it to age, clarity was really quick and nearly brilliant.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Not all store bought cider has set pectins though. It depends how it was stabilized.
  • C_BC_B
    Is 5 months too long to primary mead?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    it's on the long side, but not a huge deal as long as you kept the airlock topped up.
  • C_BC_B
    Central Ohio in summer. So much moisture the airlock probably has more in it.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • Sign here______________________________