RIS russian imperal stout
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    i need a RIS yeast for my stout formation

    WHAT ARE YOUR IDEA'S

    first attemp at Tatonka Stout
    13-F Russian Imperial Stout

    Size: 6.74 gal
    Efficiency: 82.0%
    Attenuation: 75.0%
    Calories: 295.4 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

    Original Gravity: 1.088 (1.075 - 1.115)
    Terminal Gravity: 1.022 (1.018 - 1.030)
    Color: 44.54 (30.0 - 40.0)
    Alcohol: 8.74% (8.0% - 12.0%)
    Bitterness: 60.3 (50.0 - 90.0)

    Ingredients:
    10.0 lb Pale Ale 2RS Malt
    4.0 lb Crystal Malt 20°L
    2.0 lb Chocolate
    1.0 lb Black Roasted Barley
    1.5 lb Dark Brown Sugar
    1.5 lb Molasses
    1.0 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    1.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m



    Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.18
    Tatonkawebsite.png
    150 x 318 - 37K
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • J_ReeJ_Ree
    Posts: 80,148
    I would like to drink one of those, for my personal taste; I would reduce the IBU's and also cut back on the crystal. But still, I'd like to drink one, maybe five gallons, but I'd want to start with one before brewing it.

    Another thing to think about is that you have your eff. set to 82%, which I have a hard time getting on anything as big as this, though some of that is sugar additions (which I've never done). And on that note, your attenuation may be a bit higher because of those... or not because of all the crystal. Your program can work that out.

    So in summery (I'm kinda buzzed right now), it could be great, I don't see any major flaws in what you're planning.
    CB's to do list:
    Your mom
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    nice i will try that in a few min on reducing the IBU's i usually get 80 to 81 eff out of my system. course i will be dumping in 1lb of rice hulls so i don't get a stuck sparge

    BUT I STILL NEED A YEAST FOR IT
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • J_ReeJ_Ree
    Posts: 80,148
    Oh yeah, I've only done a few big stouts, but I've used WLP028 for them with good results.
    CB's to do list:
    Your mom
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    Ok im not into scotch ale's just dont like them or the flavors they incert to a full body beer

    here is the redoo of it

    first attemp at Tatonka Stout
    13-F Russian Imperial Stout

    Size: 6.74 gal
    Efficiency: 81.0%
    Attenuation: 75.0%
    Calories: 303.15 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

    Original Gravity: 1.090 (1.075 - 1.115)
    Terminal Gravity: 1.023 (1.018 - 1.030)
    Color: 37.12 (30.0 - 40.0)
    Alcohol: 8.97% (8.0% - 12.0%)
    Bitterness: 40.2 (50.0 - 90.0)

    Ingredients:
    14.0 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L
    2.0 lb Crystal Malt 20°L
    1.0 lb Chocolate
    0.5 lb Black Roasted Barley
    1.5 lb Dark Brown Sugar
    2.5 lb Molasses
    0.75 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    0.75 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m
    2.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m
    2.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

    Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.18
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • J_ReeJ_Ree
    Posts: 80,148
    That looks more like something I'd make, but I'm sure your taste is different than mine, you may be happier with the first.
    What is your dislike of Scottish ale? It's very unlikely anything to do with the yeast. The WLP028 turns out to be a good all purpose. Though there are many relatively neutral yeast that can take that ABV, I just mentioned it because it's worked for me, and I can't think of anything more appropriate at the moment.
    CB's to do list:
    Your mom
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    i might lightn the 2 row 2 lbs to bring it down some

    i lighten the hops so it wasnt so bitter

    thought about using this


    WYeast 5526 Brettanomyces Lambicus™

    that way it would impart cherry pie flavors and sours to it
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • J_ReeJ_Ree
    Posts: 80,148
    I have never used that, but it could be really awesome. How's your temp control. Often with the yeasts that make the nifty esters keeping them at just the right temp is very very important for good results. Though I've used White Lab's WLP500 (Tarppist ale)with sloppy temp control and it worked out well, though that is a rather "flexible" estery yeast (though it gives very different results depending on temp, they are mostly good).
    CB's to do list:
    Your mom
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    id have to see what temp it needs havnt looked into it yet
    i work nights like now so i cant do much online
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,242
    in my chocolate raspberry stout i use british ale WLP005 very good, clean finish. I think this is a good choice, and with a good portion of crystal you should get the body and residual sweetness desired.

    Alternatively I busted out my Designing Great Beers and 3 of 8 award getters in the imperial stout category group used an irish ale yeast, which i would take to be WLP004. Similar attenuation, a little lower flocullation and a slightly different ester profile.

    http://wiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Yeast_Descriptions
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,242
    of course if you are really shooting for a tatonka clone, i could probably contact someone at the brewery for you...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146

    Lakewood said:

    in my chocolate raspberry stout i use british ale WLP005 very good, clean finish. I think this is a good choice, and with a good portion of crystal you should get the body and residual sweetness desired.

    Alternatively I busted out my Designing Great Beers and 3 of 8 award getters in the imperial stout category group used an irish ale yeast, which i would take to be WLP004. Similar attenuation, a little lower flocullation and a slightly different ester profile.

    http://wiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Yeast_Descriptions



    not really trying for a tatonka a friend tryed it and liked it so i figured i try and replicate it

    still waiting on the raspberry recipe

    very nice irish ale yeast didnt think of that one
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,242
    Lothos said:


    Lakewood said:

    in my chocolate raspberry stout i use british ale WLP005 very good, clean finish. I think this is a good choice, and with a good portion of crystal you should get the body and residual sweetness desired.

    Alternatively I busted out my Designing Great Beers and 3 of 8 award getters in the imperial stout category group used an irish ale yeast, which i would take to be WLP004. Similar attenuation, a little lower flocullation and a slightly different ester profile.

    http://wiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Yeast_Descriptions



    not really trying for a tatonka a friend tryed it and liked it so i figured i try and replicate it

    still waiting on the raspberry recipe

    very nice irish ale yeast didnt think of that one


    it's gonna get published soon, i promise :) I have to keep the suspense for those who will be receiving it as a brew kit quarterly item ;)
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    dosnt do me any good i wanna have it bottled and ready to go shipped with hops to your place as my gift
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,242
    :) let me see what i can do.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 47,385
    Lothos said:

    i might lightn the 2 row 2 lbs to bring it down some

    i lighten the hops so it wasnt so bitter

    thought about using this


    WYeast 5526 Brettanomyces Lambicus™

    that way it would impart cherry pie flavors and sours to it



    i'd drink it, but not many others would enjoy the barnyard-y smells and flavors. plus, all brett beers take a good 3 months before the flavor develops. and by develops i mean stops tasting like compost juice.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Posts: 44,679
    mmmmmm....compost juice
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 80,551
    Lakewood said:


    it's gonna get published soon, i promise :) I have to keep the suspense for those who will be receiving it as a brew kit quarterly item ;)



    Does that mean me???!!!???
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146

    Lakewood said:


    it's gonna get published soon, i promise :) I have to keep the suspense for those who will be receiving it as a brew kit quarterly item ;)



    Does that mean me???!!!???


    nope that was me chandlerbang

    \:D/
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,242

    Lakewood said:


    it's gonna get published soon, i promise :) I have to keep the suspense for those who will be receiving it as a brew kit quarterly item ;)



    Does that mean me???!!!???


    unless you want another wicked angel kit in july. (which i would be totally cool with)
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 80,551
    I gotta make this one first... I did buy the yeast today though. I may try to brew tomorrow. Otherwise it isn't looking good until week after next. X(
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,242

    I gotta make this one first... I did buy the yeast today though. I may try to brew tomorrow. Otherwise it isn't looking good until week after next. X(



    Brew it! <:-P <br />
    Since you are currently the lone member of the elite brew kit quarterly club at this time, i'll let you decide what kit you want when we get close to the ship date.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 80,551
    Surprise me. Maybe by then, someone else will jump in.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants