Stone – Imperial Russian Stout Clone (All Grain)
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    I am going to brew this beer this weekend for consumption in Winter 2012/2013. I plan on splitting the batch in 1/2 for secondary long bulk age. One batch with be oaked the other will be the original recipe. I will update the reipe with more accurate Mash and Sparge schedule once I put in to Beersmith.

    Stone – Imperial Russian Stout Clone
    OG: 1.096
    FG: 1.020
    IBU: 90+
    SRM: 93
    ABV: 10%
    16.5 lbs 2 row
    2 lbs amber malt
    1.25 roasted barley
    1.25 black malt
    1.7 ounces Warrior at 90 min
    WLP002 – English Ale

    Mash at 150 and boil for 90
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,102
    Simple. Elegant.
    I like it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 80,505
    I'm going to steal it.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    Lakewood said:

    Simple. Elegant.
    I like it.



    @Lakewood

    Funny you should say that. This is the reason I picked this over Old Rasputin.
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,102
    jlw said:

    Lakewood said:

    Simple. Elegant.
    I like it.



    @Lakewood

    Funny you should say that. This is the reason I picked this over Old Rasputin.


    I really like simple recipes. I think they typically taste better in the end. Of course its fun to do some convoluted multi-step, multi-ingredient outrageous thing every once in a while too.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    Lakewood said:

    jlw said:

    Lakewood said:

    Simple. Elegant.
    I like it.



    @Lakewood

    Funny you should say that. This is the reason I picked this over Old Rasputin.


    I really like simple recipes. I think they typically taste better in the end. Of course its fun to do some convoluted multi-step, multi-ingredient outrageous thing every once in a while too.


    My best beers have been simple.
  • Floresjt83Floresjt83
    Posts: 1
    Thank you first of all great recipe! We added 1lb of oats and my goodness was it amazing!

    jlw
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,102

    Thank you first of all great recipe! We added 1lb of oats and my goodness was it amazing!



    i love the creamy mouth feel you get from a bit of oats, sounds like a good addition to this big stout.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 51,314

    Thank you first of all great recipe! We added 1lb of oats and my goodness was it amazing!



    I think the oats would take this really good recipe and push it over the top into the "great" category.... good thinking @Floresjt83
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    Son of A! Why didn't I think of oats? :((

    Oh and I'm oaking this weekend.
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 109,102
    an oaked RIS is phenomenal.

    im sooo jealous.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 51,314
    Lakewood said:

    an oaked RIS is phenomenal.

    im sooo jealous.


    Yeah ... this ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    Lakewood said:

    an oaked RIS is phenomenal.

    im sooo jealous.



    Maybe I'll bottle this and send some samples. Of course I have no idea if it's any good since I haven't even looked at it in 8 months.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 80,505
    jlw said:

    Lakewood said:

    an oaked RIS is phenomenal.

    im sooo jealous.



    Maybe I'll bottle this and send some samples. Of course I have no idea if it's any good since I haven't even looked at it in 8 months.

    8 months?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 80,505
    It's good.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    C_B said:

    jlw said:

    Lakewood said:

    an oaked RIS is phenomenal.

    im sooo jealous.



    Maybe I'll bottle this and send some samples. Of course I have no idea if it's any good since I haven't even looked at it in 8 months.

    8 months?


    yes