Wet Shaving, Shave Like Your Grandfather!
  • scoobscoob
    A couple years back I was like many others, dreading having to shave, fighting ingrown hairs and red bumps, endless skin irritation, etc.

Then I discovered wet shaving.

Wet shaving is a method of shaving that involves all those things I used to see on my grandfathers bathroom shelf, a brush made of badger or boar hair, a selection of fine shave soaps, and of course, a well made razor, not some silly plastic job with a dozen blades, but a real honest to goodness razor, made of metal and built to last a lifetime, or several lifetimes. It uses a double edge razor blade and will out perform the latest hype currently being offered.

I took a look around eBay and found a 1936 Gillette "Tech" safety razor, I jumped on it and placed my bid. For the princely sum of just under 12 dollars shipped I had a vintage razor ready to get cleaned and polished up.

I found a badger hair brush at target for 9 dollars and a puck of van der Hagen shave soap for another 3 dollars.

I went home and dug out a suitable bowl, and proceeded to learn how to properly build some lather, I soaked my face with hot towels to soften up the scruff and lathered up.

That first shave was amazing, it took longer than I thought, but I couldn't believe how smoothe my face was, my grandpa was right, sometimes the old fashioned ways just work the best!

There are some things that are important to know: don't push on the razor! The blades are incredibly sharp and the razor is quite heavy, using pressure can result in a cheese slicer effect instead of a close shave.

Make a pass with the grain, not to get a close shave but rather to knock the stubble down a bit, rinse with hot water, lather up and make a second pass across the grain to get a close shave, rinse, lather and make a final pass against the grain to get that baby butt smoothe face.

Splash some aftershave on and admire that clean as a whistle feeling, and you shaved like a real man! Men like Teddy Roosevelt, Frank Sinatra, James Dean.

And my grandfather.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I am up to a dozen or so safety razors, all vintage and all are great shavers, I have a couple straight razors that I break out with on occasion.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I now have a scuttle for building my lather in, and I have several different kinds of shave soaps and creams.

I have tried many different blades trying to find the perfect combo of blade and razor that works best on my face. So far it is the shark blades loaded in a long comb Gillette NEW.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    Wow. Ebay here I come.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    I hate shaving. But rockin' out old school might be the ticket.
  • scoobscoob
    Some of the tools of the trade
    2011-12-30 20.20.29.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 2M
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Straight shave.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Straight shave.

Pic no posted
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    SeaBee said:

I hate shaving. But rockin' out old school might be the ticket.

I used to hate shaving, now that I shave old school, it's more of a relaxing ritual, weekends I shave with the straight and take my time, weekdays I shave with a safety razor, I can get three passes in and be cleaned up and put away in 7-10 minutes. Not a lot of time to get a good clean shave in
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

Some of the tools of the trade

That's a wicked cool looking set up. Nice clean package.
  • scoobscoob
    It's a pipe rack, where my scuttle is is where the tobacco jar would sit, the brush holder is bent coat hanger screwed to the side
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I'm quite a coat hanger craftsman.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that scuttle is cool lookin. is that a fill hole for a hot water chamber?
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • scoobscoob

Yes it is, keeps the lather nice and warm!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

Yes it is, keeps the lather nice and warm!

Nifty
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

It's a pipe rack, where my scuttle is is where the tobacco jar would sit, the brush holder is bent coat hanger screwed to the side

I would have believed it if you told me it was specifically made for use with these items.
  • ceanntceannt
    Used a straight razor for years ...... best shave ever .... and the brush and cake soap is the only way to go
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob
    I have been using CO Bigelow shave cream from bath and body works. A toothpaste style tube is 5 dollars for the smaller tube, and it gets me a fantastic shave.

It is made by proraso of Italy for them, has a nice menthol tingle to it, and all you need is an almond sized dollop in your shave bowl.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I also use 4-6 drops of extra virgin olive oil in the shave bowl as well when building lather, it adds a bit of additional lubrication and it helps build a meringue like shave lather.

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Not to mention that EVOO is great for your skin, not greasy at all when added to the lather, and is waaaaay cheaper than some fancy pre shave oil.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    The Olive oil sounds great ..... I just use the cake soap ...... 95 cents .... and lasts forever ..... may have to dibble a little olive oil on the cake next time
  • ceanntceannt
    The secret to all this is a good brush ..... natural boar bristles is the best
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

The secret to all this is a good brush ..... natural boar bristles is the best

I feel a good badger brush gets me a better lather over boars hair. I like a softer brush as well, boar tends to be a bit scruffier on my face
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    After showering today I rolled out the straight, the one I used today is a nice bit of German steel, full hollow ground, 6/8ths wide with a rounded point and nice tight scales.

I have taken to post shave stopping so the razor is ready to grab and go, one trick I learned that gets me a nice bite from the strop is after is was treated to some neats foot oil I now give it a brushing with the last of my shave lather, this gives the leather a really nice draw and I have been getting a nice finish to the blade.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I'm going to give that blade a good 20 or 30 passes on the oxide paddles to bring up the edge, I haven't done much other than strop it for a year now, starting to pull a little
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    Apparently there is a lot to sharpening a straight....