Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Scotch Whisky Thread
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    I recently discovered that I actually like Scotch now. I had tried it once before and all I could taste was alcohol. My taste buds must have matured over the last 10 years. Anyways, I wanted to start this thread to discuss favorite types, brands, etc., as well as how you drink it, when you drink it and everything else.

So far, I've gone a little nuts and stocked my bar with the following in the last month:

Laphraoig 10 (very peaty, not my favorite)
    Glenfiddich 12 (tasty, a little on the sweet side)
    Glenlivet 12 (tasty, a little on the sweet side)
    Glenlivet 15 (my overall favorite so far, not too sweet, and I love the flavor)
    Jura 16 (tasty, a little on the sweet side)

I have one tulip-shape tasting glass, though my default is an old, glass Nutella jar. I've tried most of them neat, but prefer them with some water.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt
    Hmmmm... you would like the better Speysides .... try Craggenmore
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    I like em peaty ... Talisker ... Lagavulin ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    Always neat .... warm it with my hands a bit to free up the aroma ... and stick with the little tulip shaped glass
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    ceannt said:

Always neat .... warm it with my hands a bit to free up the aroma ... and stick with the little tulip shaped glass

I'm not sure about that. Even the distillers water it down when tasting. Adding a little water (even up to a 2:1 ratio) really opens up a scotch and can allow additional aromas/flavors to be released and perceived.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i try scotch and other whiskey's every few years, in the hopes that someday i will enjoy it. so far though, nothing!

good work on turning the taste buds around.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the distillers might be watering it down because they have to taste a boatload of them and don't want to end up tanked.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

i try scotch and other whiskey's every few years, in the hopes that someday i will enjoy it. so far though, nothing!

good work on turning the taste buds around.

add some hops.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • jlwjlw
    I like scotch. I should get bottle. I haven't had a bottle around the house for a long time. I used to drink scotch with cigars and then learned how to par beer with cigars and haven't had a bottle since then.
  • ceanntceannt
    Ace_Club said:

ceannt said:

I'm not sure about that. Even the distillers water it down when tasting. Adding a little water (even up to a 2:1 ratio) really opens up a scotch and can allow additional aromas/flavors to be released and perceived.

Yeah ... they can say that all they want .... I don't like it watered down ... if you wrap your hand around the glass for a couple minutes it opens up just fine
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    If you like them soft and delicate you might try Scapa from the Orkneys .... last thing that hits you in the finish is clean salt air
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • scoobscoob
    Great thread here fellas, making my Christmas list from it!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Wife gets me a bottle at Christmas every year ..... best present under the tree!
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    If you have the coin .... 18 year old MacCallans is like heaven in a bottle ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    I've heard really good things about Aberlour A'bunadh. Also the Highland Park line.
  • ThymThym
    Macallan 18

Do it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JerryJerry
    I'm working on a 1.75L jug of "the famous grouse". I like it. I often go for johny red, but that was giving me gut rot. This grouse stuff is sweeter and more mild, though young (but for the price....)
    How I like to drink it: well when I'm feeling fancy I put it in a cup, when I'm feeling extra fancy the cup is made of glass. In the summer I sometimes like one ice cube. I've always liked the idea of the water thing, but I can always taste the water, I'd like to try it with distilled water.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    I can drink the Glenlivet 15 neat no problems. Most of my others I think really benefit from the addition of some water. Though, even the Glenlivet 15 gains some from a water addition.
  • JerryJerry
    I think the key it to sip really light. You will build up enough spit that you're basically mixing it with water, but spit has no taste at all, well as long as it's your own.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

I think the key it to sip really light. You will build up enough spit that you're basically mixing it with water, but spit has no taste at all, well as long as it's your own.

hmmm.....
  • ThymThym
    while most of what jerry says is totally insane, it's hard to argue any kind of counter point.
  • JerryJerry
    Lakewood said:

while most of what jerry says is totally insane, it's hard to argue any kind of counter point.

It's hard to argue with science is what you're saying!
    Right now I'm also noticing it's hard to take a really little sip when I'm having a less fancy night (drinking out of the bottle.... well, it's more of a jug)
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Right now I'm also noticing it's hard to take a really little sip when I'm having a less fancy night (drinking out of the bottle.... well, it's more of a jug)

Science my ass. Drink your jug hobo.
  • JerryJerry
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

I just realized I have a jug of wine! I can hobo it up for real tonight! No hobo drinks cheap scotch, cheap vodka is just so much cheaper.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • jlwjlw

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

I just realized I have a jug of wine! I can hobo it up for real tonight! No hobo drinks cheap scotch, cheap vodka is just so much cheaper.

is it in a paper bag?