Brew in a Bag Method Pictorial
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    So I switched to BIAB all-grain. There is another thread here with simple instructions. I thought I would add mine with photos.

I use a keggle with a 1/2" ball valve. My mom made me a bag out of voile. Ask for it at a fabric store. Also used 1" nylon webbing for the top and handles. We made three handles to pick up the bag and hang it. I got a tip from a website that suggested making the bottom tapered when using a keggle, that way it does not get stuck when pulling the bag out.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Check out the stitching on the handles if you are interested in making your own
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Here is the set up before starting. Simple rig. All in one vessel. The bag is shown hanging from a rope when it comes time to drain.
    image.jpg
    1312 x 1757 - 724K
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I made a simple measuring stick to determine gallons in the keggle. I wanted a sight gauge, but I am not sure it's worth it.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I measured all grain and ground at the store. Placed in the bag. I added 8.5 gallons of water for a 5g batch. I heated water to around 130F then lowered the bag into the keggle. I secured the bag to the top with clips so the bottom of the bag is off the bottom of the keggle. I made this bag for a straight sided sanke keg, but still used my older keg which has different dimensions so the bag won't fit around the top. Didn't really matter.
    image.jpg
    2029 x 1516 - 830K
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I stirred a bit to ensure it is all mixed up and there are no clumps.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I brewed a Kolsh, so when I got to 149, I shut off the heat, put on the lid, wrapped in an old blanket first because the keggle is still hot, then wrapped my sleeping bag around it. I mashed for 85 minutes and started to unwrap. The temp dropped 2F over that time. Seems like insulation worked. I stirred, and fired back up, with grain bag still in. Raised temp to 162F and lifted bag. I suspended by a rope and carabiner. I suspended the bag just out of the wort so there was no hot side aeration from dripping water from a distance.
    image.jpg
    1478 x 1978 - 837K
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    That's basically it. Rest is as usual.
  • ThymThym
    great write up and pics! that bag is awesome, I just used a cheapo grain bag from the LHBS, that thing should last a good long time.

it's amazing how simple it really is, isn't it?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Nice write up!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Do you "sparge" or rinse the grain at all?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    No spraging or rinsing. I'm not too familiar with it all yet, but considering you can stir the grain and swish it around a bit maybe that is why you don't have to rinse out the grain.
  • ThymThym
    Depends on how much strike water you use. I typical used a couple gallons less than my full boil volume so I could wash the grain while it was hanging
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Nice work! I was hoping to get around to doing this, but got really busy.

Sparging is not too hard if you have another pot. Heat up some water in the 2nd pot, I usually heat to 170 as the grain will decrease the heat a bit, and then dunk in the bag to the second pot. I leave it in for approx 15 minutes, pull it out, drain the bag, and then pour contents from pot 1 into pot 2.

It does help with the efficiency quite a bit.

*note - I am doing this in small 6gal/3gal pots on my kitchen stove. I can understand where this may be a bit more difficult working with larger equipment or one burner.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

Nice work! I was hoping to get around to doing this, but got really busy.

Sparging is not too hard if you have another pot. Heat up some water in the 2nd pot, I usually heat to 170 as the grain will decrease the heat a bit, and then dunk in the bag to the second pot. I leave it in for approx 15 minutes, pull it out, drain the bag, and then pour contents from pot 1 into pot 2.

It does help with the efficiency quite a bit.

*note - I am doing this in small 6gal/3gal pots on my kitchen stove. I can understand where this may be a bit more difficult working with larger equipment or one burner.

i've done the same with small grain bags (partial mash), with good results.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • That grain bag is killer!