Apple cinnamon beer recipe help
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    So here is what I have. I had to disconnect my desktop for some in home moving so can't scale this. Can I get some help from one of you Beersmith chaps? It is for a five gallon batch, starting boil 7.5 g and doing BIAB. I want to make an 8g batch and split in into two four gallon batches and use the canned apples in one and canned apples and cider in the other. I can't scale this myself, I'm both lazy and ignorant to how to do it.

4 lbs pils
    4 lbs Vienna
    .75 biscuit
    .4 honey malt
    .5 caramel 60
    .2 caramel 20
    .15 caramel 120
    19 IBU's of hallertau 5% whole leaf at 60 min
    Safale 05

The rest of the ingredients I don't know how to incorporate and basically don't care, it's going into the primary after a few days. Probably a spiced beer for style. Could be fruit, could be both.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Nevermind. I had to come home with a sick kid today, hooked it all back up.
  • ThymThym
    When are you going to brew this?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Brewing today. In a few hours.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Brewing today. In a few hours.

Yay!

"On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Actually postponed until tomorrow. Switched to English 04 yeast. I am leaving town Tuesday until Thursday so I am going to have to wait until then to add the apples. Not ideal, but its what I have. I'm actually leaving town with Fry's wife. Let the TKT begin.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Actually postponed until tomorrow. Switched to English 04 yeast. I am leaving town Tuesday until Thursday so I am going to have to wait until then to add the apples. Not ideal, but its what I have. I'm actually leaving town with Fry's wife. Let the TKT begin.

"On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Benvarine said:

Leave town with my wife instead ..... please?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

more sticker pictures!
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Checked gravity today, 4 days past pitching. No activity at all. Gravity down to 1.010. That was fast. Started at 1.052.

I purée'd the apples and added one can per 4 gallon batch. I could not find cider so opted for apple juice instead. I added one can frozen juice concentrate plus one can of water to one Carboy. I swirled both up and put back in fermentation chamber.

I'll add the spices when bottling and will determine how much based on tasting first. The apples had spice in them already.

The beer tasted okay, a little plain, not much body. I hope the spice will help. I wish it had a little more mouthfeel, but don't think I can fix it now.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Checked gravity today, 4 days past pitching. No activity at all. Gravity down to 1.010. That was fast. Started at 1.052.

I purée'd the apples and added one can per 4 gallon batch. I could not find cider so opted for apple juice instead. I added one can frozen juice concentrate plus one can of water to one Carboy. I swirled both up and put back in fermentation chamber.

I'll add the spices when bottling and will determine how much based on tasting first. The apples had spice in them already.

The beer tasted okay, a little plain, not much body. I hope the spice will help. I wish it had a little more mouthfeel, but don't think I can fix it now.

I wonder if the apple sweetness will give it a bit of body.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I hope so. We'll see I guess. Any other suggestions?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    1/4# of maltodextrin?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that'll boost the body without doing much to the flavor.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    How long would it have to be in there? Or do you mean next time?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

How long would it have to be in there? Or do you mean next time?

any amount of time. the yeast shouldn't be able to do anything to it. it's normally added late in the boil, so i'd probably pull a pint and boil the maltodextrin for a minute or two before adding it into either the primary or bottling bucket/keg.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Got it. I'll wait to see how the apples work out. Since I have two batches and time, I can experiment. Thanks
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    a tiny bit of acid might give it a little zing too. since you are making a weird beer/wine hybrid thing, it will cancel out the flatness of body you are describing. easy to test too, just pull a little and sprinkle some acid in, then taste.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    write down how much you add so you can scale up if you like it.
  • ThymThym
    I bet that would help bring out the apple flavor.

What kind of acid would you use?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i would use malic acid, but a regular acid blend available at all the homebrew stores would work fine.
  • ThymThym
    How does that flavor compare to what you get from an acidulated malt? I've never really played with acid additions in my beers, but I plan on trying it with my next Wit.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i have no experience with using that stuff. i use lots of acid in my wines though. its very important to make an excellent mead, but you can still maek a god mead without it
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    So I added the apples to the one and apples and juice concentrate to the other. The no juice one tasted bland, nothing special. The juice one tasted more like apples, but subtle, finished at 1.006. I added the spices and molasses to the keg and kegged that beer. The no juice one is still in carboy. I'm thinking of going more radical. Add two cans of juice concentrate, spices, maybe some additional canned apples like before. I might need to add more yeast. Any suggestions? I could add the maltodextrine like someone suggested I think. I'll look back and see. I could go for more mouthfeel. I'll probably hold on adding spice until I see how the other one tastes in a couple days.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    you shouldn't need to add more yeast, maybe add the stuff and if nothing happens in 4 days, add some more. the lack of mouthfeel might be due to low acid. pull a little out and sprinkle in some acid blend, see if that doesn't fix it straight away.