Apple cinnamon beer recipe help
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I checked the Kegged stuff today, not much spice flavor if any, good apple nose however. I added a very small amount of acid blend to a glass and tasted, added more, etc. A little goes a long way, it was obvious when it was too much. I'll probably add 1/8 tsp to the entire thing and taste and add as necessary. Do you think the spices will come through more in time, or is this all I can expect? I steeped for 30 and then added to beer when I Kegged.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I checked the Kegged stuff today, not much spice flavor if any, good apple nose however. I added a very small amount of acid blend to a glass and tasted, added more, etc. A little goes a long way, it was obvious when it was too much. I'll probably add 1/8 tsp to the entire thing and taste and add as necessary. Do you think the spices will come through more in time, or is this all I can expect? I steeped for 30 and then added to beer when I Kegged.

flavor development through aging is weird to say the least. what will actually happen to the flavor depends on the conditions in which it's being aged, and what the current flavor profile is. for example, if the spice flavor is there, but it's being hidden by some other flavor, the spice may become more forward if time, if the aging process causes the masking flavor to diminish. whereas if the spice flavor already pretty much hidden, and the aging causes a new flavor to be introduced, then the spice could disappear altogether.

since the beer has been cleared and kegged, i wouldn't expect a any substantial change to occur in the flavor in the near term. so i would make your tweaks, little by little and get it where you want it. then store it away cold until comp time.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Here are the spices I added.
    0.25 tsp clove
    0.50 tsp allspice
    0.50 tsp cinnamon
    0.33 cup molasses
    Any thoughts on ramping those up? Originally I was going to add 1.00 tsp of cinnamon, but have heard such bad things about too much so scaled back. I'm going with the extra in the next batch.

It is turning out to be more of an apple beer than an apple cinnamon beer. Baked apple pie is what I was looking for. Oh well.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I added two jars apple juice concentrate and a can of cinnamon apples used for pie filing. I made the above spice mix tea, but used a cinnamon stick and maple syrup instead of molasses. Steeped for about 15, pulled out stick and dumped that, apples and juice in empty Carboy and racked beer on it. Then added Wyeast: 5526 | Brettanomyces lambicus™. I raised the temp to 68 and see what happens. I didn't want two batches of apple tasting beer with no complexity. The other one I'll use in the contest, not likely beat out the other guy, but we'll see. The sour I'll try in a few months.
  • ThymThym
    heres my recco, if the non-soured one isn't really killer there isn't much to lose so its worth a try: you can split it if you don't want to risk the whole thing.

blast the comp one with a little mixture of molasses, cinnamon and pulverized canned apples, boil it good then blend it until it is litteraly pure liquid. add it to some cleared wort or green beer in a secondary. mix it up real good then let it settle out.

it should add some body and complexity.

if you split off about 2.5 gals, i'd probably make about 1 cup of this mixture, a can of apples, maybe 1/6cup of molasses and one or two sticks of fresh cinnamon in the boiling mixture. you might throw in a little all-spice for schnitzengiggles.

this mixture shouldn't really have much to offer in the way of fermentables, it's just a flava flav boost and some mouthfeel to write home about. so adding it, mixing it and letting the solids settle out in a week should be sufficient.

then taste the wonderful world of spiced beer.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    The comp one is already kegged. Probably too late right? I had pulverized apples in it, also added the spice and molasses mix in when kegged. It is real apple-ly flavored, but little in the way of spice.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

The comp one is already kegged. Probably too late right? I had pulverized apples in it, also added the spice and molasses mix in when kegged. It is real apple-ly flavored, but little in the way of spice.

skip the apples, mix up 1/4 cup of molasses, add 1/4 cup of water, boil it with some cinnamon sticks and all-spice. (and any other spices you want). boil it for 20-30 minutes.

then just pour the liquid in (strain out all of the solids with a very fine tea filter or something) might want to filter it a few time to make sure the arent any chunks.

the liquid wont have any sediment so it can go straight into the keg.

It will foam up when you pour it into a carbed keg, not a big deal. just have the lid in already, just cock it up to the side to pour in the flava boosta. close the lid as quickly as possible then roll or shake the keg a bit to get it all mixed up.

let it set a few days before you give it a taste. it should be much richer.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

skip the apples, mix up 1/4 cup of molasses, add 1/4 cup of water, boil it with some cinnamon sticks and all-spice. (and any other spices you want). boil it for 20-30 minutes.

then just pour the liquid in (strain out all of the solids with a very fine tea filter or something) might want to filter it a few time to make sure the arent any chunks.

the liquid wont have any sediment so it can go straight into the keg.

It will foam up when you pour it into a carbed keg, not a big deal. just have the lid in already, just cock it up to the side to pour in the flava boosta. close the lid as quickly as possible then roll or shake the keg a bit to get it all mixed up.

let it set a few days before you give it a taste. it should be much richer.

I have done similar additions to carbed beers. It will foam quickly and violently. Be prepared to pop that lid back down fast.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    nucleation points are fun!!!
  • ThymThym

nucleation points are fun!!!

Fizzy volcano!
  • ThymThym
    It really isn't all that bad... Just dump and cap. There's a little delay, so as long as you don't hesitate you can do it pretty cleanly. Don't pour carefuly... It doesn't help. Just dump it in as fast as possible and close it up.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

It really isn't all that bad... Just dump and cap. There's a little delay, so as long as you don't hesitate you can do it pretty cleanly. Don't pour carefuly... It doesn't help. Just dump it in as fast as possible and close it up.

Yes. All of this.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I won! Onto the next round. Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it. Spicy pepper beer next. New posts in the spicy pepper beer thread.
  • ThymThym
    awesome, congrats!
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

I won! Onto the next round. Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it. Spicy pepper beer next. New posts in the spicy pepper beer thread.

Awesome!
  • ceanntceannt
    Benvarine said:

Sweet!
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    congrats!
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Thanks guys, couldn't do it without you.