Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
1" NPS Locknut Kettle Mounting
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    On thermometers...I plan on being able to recirculate everything. I guess that negates the need for thermometers in the kettles since there would be thermocouples in the recirculation piping. I'll need a second pump I think.
    Sign here______________________________
  • C_BC_B

On thermometers...I plan on being able to recirculate everything. I guess that negates the need for thermometers in the kettles since there would be thermocouples in the recirculation piping. I'll need a second pump I think.

In that case maybe you don't need a thermometer/sight glass there. Will you be recirculating when you're coming up to a boil? I like to keep an eye on the temp so I can see how far away from hot break (and potential foam volcano) I am.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
    It's great being able to talk this stuff over. I would not be recirculating coming up to a boil. It would only be recirculating post boil and possibly during chilling.
  • C_BC_B

It's great being able to talk this stuff over. I would not be recirculating coming up to a boil. It would only be recirculating post boil and possibly during chilling.

Other than knowing preboil temp I don't see a reason. That would be good enough for me to put a thermometer and a sight glass on it though.
    Also, where is the thermocouple going to be located in the recirc loop?
    I assume I'll have a valve with 2 tees or a 3 way valve on the pump output. The thermocouple would be on the pump side of the valve assembly.
    Still mulling over feasibility stuff. Probably gonna be a bunch of QDs to switch the pump assembly between HLT/MLT and MLT/BK. I already have one pump. I'll add a second when I can ($) if I need it.
    This is what I have for now. The MLT will be a 10 gallon cooler for now. I may or may not go to a keg later.
    image.jpg
    1882 x 1296 - 679K
  • C_BC_B

This is what I have for now. The MLT will be a 10 gallon cooler for now. I may or may not go to a keg later.

Understanding this is a VERY rough sketch.... A couple thoughts...

The MLT will need to run through the pump if this is a single tier system?
    I think the whirlpool fitting on the boil kettle is at the 5 gallon level? Lakewood and I have a discussion about that somewhere around here....
    And what is the QD for at the top of the HLT?
    I'm still up in the air on whether I go single tier or a two tier with the bk lower. If I go single tier I will have to decide on adding a second pump or making the first modular. If I add a second pump I will likely kill nearly all if not all the QDs.

Yeah, I drew the whirlpool at the top but then noted 5 gal level on a whim. What was the consensus?

QD near top of HLT to recirc HLT. Stratification of a non boiling fluid?
  • C_BC_B

I'm still up in the air on whether I go single tier or a two tier with the bk lower. If I go single tier I will have to decide on adding a second pump or making the first modular. If I add a second pump I will likely kill nearly all if not all the QDs.

Yeah, I drew the whirlpool at the top but then noted 5 gal level on a whim. What was the consensus?

QD near top of HLT to recirc HLT. Stratification of a non boiling fluid?

I have a set of plans/drawings where the MLT was above the BK and HLT. Interesting thought either way.
    Consensus? I think draw off the top/middle and return on the bottom. The problem with that in my eyes is requiring a separate bulkhead to angle sideways, thus avoiding turbulent flow.

Oh right, you may turn the HLT into a heat exchanger. Got it.
  • C_BC_B
    Wait wait... I just realized you aren't showing the HEX on there in the HLT? Without that is the recirc necessary? Someone else might weigh in here, but I'm not sure stratification is a big deal if the heating is coming from a single source at the bottom of the vessel and you aren't using it as a heat exchanger.
    Sorry. Didn't label them. The big black dots in the fronts of HLT and BK. Those will be 4500 or 5500 watt elements.
  • C_BC_B

Sorry. Didn't label them. The big black dots in the fronts of HLT and BK. Those will be 4500 or 5500 watt elements.

I mean are you planning to use the HLT with a HERMS coil to maintain mash temps? I thought I read that somewhere....
    Yeah, that's the current plan. In the cooler it wouldn't really be needed outside of long mashes and slow steps.
  • ThymThym
    Ok, so maybe I should explain my reasoning for the sight glass on the MLT a little better..

it's not to gauge the volume of fluid in the MLT. That wouldn't work well at all since the amount of grain in the tun would effect the sight glass level and render the measurement useless...

The purpose is to gauge the LEVEL of the fluid in the tun. That way as you drain the tun you know where the fluid level is at once it drops below the top of the grain bed. That way you dont drain it dry and suck air into your pickup while you are lautering. i typically fly sparge, but will shut of the fly as i go since balancing input and output rates is very difficult, so in essence I do a pseudo batch sparge as I go. As im getting close to the end of the lauter, I want to maintain a certain minimum level of sparge water in the tun. I really has nothing to do with volume.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    Preliminary quote of $100, 2 hours @ $50/hr to weld (3) 1" element locknuts and (6) 1/2" couplings. That includes making and cleaning up the holes for the fittings.
  • ThymThym
    That is reasonable. Tske a look at some of his recent work before commiting.
  • ThymThym

cool projects. though i can't really see the detail of any actual welds. but if people are paying the kind of coin involved in projects like that, i'll assume its quality welding.
    Yeah, his day job is welder/fabricator at a place called Spevco (Special Vehicles Company). I think he has been there 5 or 6 years. It's what he has been doing since leaving Iraq as a USMC scout/sniper. He came recommended by a hot rod friend/coworker.
  • ThymThym

Yeah, his day job is welder/fabricator at a place called Spevco (Special Vehicles Company). I think he has been there 5 or 6 years. It's what he has been doing since leaving Iraq as a USMC scout/sniper. He came recommended by a hot rod friend/coworker.

sweet
    I got my fittings in today. Gotta make sure I know exactly what I want tonight. Going to see the welder tomorrow. Sounds like an awesome dude. If I brought them tonight he was gonna deliver them back on Sunday.
  • ThymThym

I got my fittings in today. Gotta make sure I know exactly what I want tonight. Going to see the welder tomorrow. Sounds like an awesome dude. If I brought them tonight he was gonna deliver them back on Sunday.

awesome!

PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!
  • C_BC_B

Sounds like a cool dude.
    Lakewood said:

awesome!
    PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!

All of this. All of it.
    I paid good money, but feel like I got my money's worth.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M