Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Is DMS a Worry With Modern Pilsner Malt?
  • scoobscoob
    I have a pretty well tuned palette and can pick up on a lot of flavors in a beer, one thing I have yet to pick up on is DMS in any beer I have brewed with pilsner malt, and I have never bothered with a boil longer than 60 minutes.

My normal process is to boil fairly hard, and chill as fast as possible. I have long believed that like hot side aeration and autolysis, DMS is just not a worry.

Could be from improvements in malting and grain quality, but I think people worry too much about the DMS boogie man, they may have never tasted DMS, but they will boil for 90 minutes, perform a d-rest when brewing lagers, but don't really have a solid basis for why they do it...

Ok rabble... Your thoughts on this?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I'm not a lager, especially pilsner guy, but when talking to the brewer at Red Oak he looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about d-rest. He went on to say that with a proper pitch it's just not needed.
    Sign here______________________________
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i've never had it in any of my beers. i'm a low boil type of brewer and i've done fairly long chilling without any issues. i've done no chill several times, but not on a high pils % beer.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt
    I had serious DMS issues with pils malt when I first went all grain .... went to a lower boil and it went away ...but I am not so sure it was "modern" malt .. ;)
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I had serious DMS issues with pils malt when I first went all grain .... went to a lower boil and it went away ...but I am not so sure it was "modern" malt .. ;)

in 1645, the year of our Lord?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    all i can say is that in many (most) of these "summer lagers" that craft breweries are putting out now.....they are totally riddled with DMS. many to the point that i can't drink them. granted, i am very sensitive to DMS, its about the only flavor i can totally pick up on.

point is, i think its still in there for sure.
  • scoobscoob
    Ok good to hear your experiences, I haven't been dinged on it in a comp thus far but have picked up on it in a couple home brews from another local brewer, his big issue was a real weak boil, like hardly bubbling sort of boil.

Maybe that isa common issue? Boil strength?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy

all i can say is that in many (most) of these "summer lagers" that craft breweries are putting out now.....they are totally riddled with DMS. many to the point that i can't drink them. granted, i am very sensitive to DMS, its about the only flavor i can totally pick up on.

point is, i think its still in there for sure.

i don't think i'm very sensitive to it, but i don't often buy the summer beers.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm not even sure what it tastes like.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

I'm not even sure what it tastes like.

creamy corn. gross ass creamy corn that you taste after the swallow.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    its very common in helles lagers. almost part of the style there, so grab one of those to see if you can taste it.
  • C_BC_B

its very common in helles lagers. almost part of the style there, so grab one of those to see if you can taste it.

Will do.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants